NEW DELHI: Maratha quota activist Manoj Jarange continued his indefinite hunger strike at Mumbai’s historic Azad Maidan on Saturday, warning the government not to test the patience of the community.Demand: 10% quota for Marathas under the OBC category Speaking to reporters, Jarange clarified that the agitation is not a demand for reducing the OBC quota. “We are only demanding that we get our rightful share of quota based on the eligibility under the Kunbi category,” he said. He is seeking a 10% quota for Marathas under the OBC category, arguing that recognition as Kunbis — an agrarian caste already included in the OBC list — will make them eligible for government jobs and education.

Jarange accused the government of spreading misinformation and urged Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis not to insult poor Marathas. “We don’t want to indulge in politics. We only want a reservation. The government should not test the patience of the Maratha community,” he said. Jarange’s demands in discussion: CM Fadnavis Fadnavis said on Friday that the state government remained positive about resolving social and financial issues for Marathas but that political reservations were outside the scope. A cabinet sub-committee is reportedly discussing Jarange’s demands within the constitutional framework. Revenue Minister Radhakrishna Vikhe Patil, who heads the sub-committee, said dialogue remained the way forward.Traffic disruption Traffic comes to standstill in south Mumbai on Day 2.The protest coincided with the Ganesh festival and traffic near Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) came to a standstill, with police struggling to clear the roads.

Many protesters gathered outside the CSMT junction, blocking key routes and causing widespread congestion across Mumbai. Puddles formed at the protest site due to overnight rain, and many complained of food scarcity, alleging that shops around the area had been shut.Political and community support This is Jarange’s seventh hunger strike since 2023. Around 30,000 protesters reportedly converged in the city. Several Maratha MLAs and MPs, including representatives from NCP, Shiv Sena (UBT), and other regional parties, visited Azad Maidan to show support. ‘This is the final fight’ Jarange criticised Fadnavis’ past record, referring to police action during a previous protest in Antarwali Sarati two years ago and alleging that promised farmer loan waivers and other benefits were not implemented. He told supporters, “This is the final fight. Either the government will kill me with bullets or I will die in the hunger strike.” Deputy chief minister Eknath Shinde echoed Fadnavis, saying that Maratha quota demands could not reduce the OBC reservation. Jarange urged followers to remain peaceful and, while stationed at Azad Maidan, advised them to wait in Navi Mumbai if needed, emphasising that the protest would not end until the Maratha community secured its “share of quota.”